ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Valuation Surveyor
- Specialist in landlord and tenant
- Specialist valuer in dilapidations cases; damage to the reversion including expert witness work. Past member of the RICS Dilapidations Forum Steering Group. Contributor (drafting of the valuation section) to the RICS Handbook of Dilapidations, yet to be published. Appearance as an expert witness at the Central London County Court (before HHJ Marshall QC) in Anstruther v Vidas, a case touching on multiple issues concerning valuation in dilapidations claims.
- Long experience in leasehold enfranchisement matters, including many appearances as an expert witness at the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal for landlords, intermediate landlords and tenants. Appearance as an expert witness at the Lands Tribunal in the Nailrile appeals on behalf of the tenants and intermediate landlord of 62 Cadogan Square, SW1.
- RICS Registered Valuer
- Trainee member of NARA – The Association of Property and Fixed Charge Receivers.
- 20 years experience of professional property work, as well as property and business management.
- Honours degree in Urban Land Economics
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Christ Church School, Chorleywood (1976 – 1983)
- Watford Boys Grammar School (1983 – 1990)
- Sheffield Hallam University (1990 – 1994)
2002 to present
Practising as Beckett and Kay in partnership with Peter Beckett FRICS. Specialising in landlord and tenant, property management and specialist valuation work. Particular emphasis on valuations in dilapidations cases, leasehold enfranchisement, and recovery with a landlord and tenant bias.
1998 – 2002
Associate with Stiles Harold Williams (London) following merger with Kemp & Hawley – Senior Property Manager responsible for day to day running of the department. Involved in management of mixed residential and commercial portfolios; landlord and tenant work; and leasehold enfranchisement valuations.
Due to be made Director and Head of London Property Management with effect from May 2002, but left to form Partnership with Peter Beckett FRICS in April 2002.
1994 – 1998
Kemp & Hawley. Involved in property management (mixed residential and commercial portfolios), valuation, rating work, rent review and agency.
1993 – 1994
Final year of honours degree in Urban Land Economics at Sheffield Hallam University. Dissertation on ‘The effect of the Leasehold Reform, Housing & Urban Development Act 1993 on the large London Estates’ – case study on the Grosvenor Estate.
1992 – 1993
Placement year as trainee surveyor at Kemp & Hawley, Chartered Surveyors in Covent Garden (London).
Please contact Richard kay on +44 (0) 20 7439 6667 or use the form below.